We share real support case studies about the tools and subscriptions that we use so that our readers can get an understanding of the support they will receive from a provider.
- Production website used for review: buddycult.com.
- Plan used for review: Business plan
- For more details, refer to our review home for Mighty Networks.
We created a hidden plan with some initial trial days for some selected users to join our network. When users sign up using this link, it simply say something went wrong. We tested it on our own. However, in the network home we do not get any notification. We do not know how many users were turned away. None could join anyway.
On Sat, Aug 8, 2020 at 10:43 PM
We sent a mail to the premium support for our business plan with the link and even screen share. We even shared in the mighty hosts community page where it was seen and responded by the CEO itself.
Aug 9, 2020, 2:10 AM
Is this happening for every Member using this link? Could you send over some of the email addresses of Members getting this behavior and I can take a look?
Also, if those Members could potentially send in a screen recording of the process they are taking when they run into this problem, please let me know.
Aug 9, 2020, 7:52 AM
We asked if should tell all users to test it out. That will be the worst start to our membership portal. All I know is it is failing for us we tested. None of the users were able to register anyway. So do not know who all has tried and were turned away.
We asked: Please tell whether you were able to reproduce? It is a trial link. So you can try it out and cancel. In any case, please let me know why it failed for below. We tried from mobile and computer.
Later I also shared the email from which we tested.
Aug 9, 2020, 5:58 PM
Created another plan without trial. Same error. Shared that email as well.
Aug 10, 2020, 10:48 PM
Another user commented on our post in Mighty Hosts, on which the CEO of the company Gina Bianchini has replied and following:
I was having this issue too. No idea why. The people trying to join were listed in Stripe so something has happened. But they are not on my network. Switched to invite mode for now getting ready, but testing payments hasn't worked out yet.
Aug 11, 2020, 6:00 AM
Sent reminder 1.
Any updates? It is sad that after paying for yearly membership I am not able to use the plan.
Note: This time I copied the mighty networks priority email for paid customers also.
Aug 11, 2020, 10:37 PM
Got another message as follows: It may be worth to check with Stripe support to see if your account ending in XXXXX has not been locked or flagged for any reason. They may be able to check and see why these payments have errored out.
I checked stripe and can see that all customer emails are onboarded successfully. I shared that info with MN.
Aug 12, 2020, 3:21 AM
Got another response: We are sorry to hear that this issue is persisting. I have reported this to my team and we are actively working to resolve this. We will let you know once this issue has been fixed.
Aug 13, 2020, 12:59 AM
After investigation with our teams, we can't find anything that looks like it might be a bug on our end. In fact, we suspect this might be a Stripe issue. We've uncovered that Stripe may not support connected accounts in India for platforms based in the US. Assuming the member who saw this error lives in India, this could explain the error message.
Stripe will be getting back to us with more details on their operations and policies around this, but I wanted to make sure to get back to you as soon as I could with an update. Obviously if this is the case, we will take steps to make this clearer to all our hosts with members in India.
Relatedly, given that we have limited visibility into the details of your account (and the error generated by your member(s)), I'd recommend reaching out to Stripe from your account to confirm and further dig into the cause of the error message. For further context, this might be a relevant article: https://support.stripe.com/
If you did reach out to Stripe, would you keep us posted on the outcome of your chat with them?
I also replied on the hosts page as follows:
Assuming Stripe does not work for India customers and you do not have any other payment support, could you please help me with below questions:
1. If stripe don’t allow MN account integration for India, at least you should know it or have some logs right?
2. You should have let me know upfront when I registered right?
3. I paid close to 1000 Dollars and can’t use my subscription for its intended use now. Am I going to get discount or refund?
4. Most importantly, my book came 8th on the best cloud computing books of all time at bookauthority.org. I had a good opportunity to attract people to my new initiative and I publicised about my new platform. How would you account for my lost opportunity?
Note: Apart from being able to run the courses, I am reviewing 7 popular course and membership platforms for e-learning courses. I am also capturing and sharing all my experience in the review page.
cc Gina Bianchini , Jessica Shambora
Finally I got a sensible response from Gina Bianchini:
First, we do flag upfront that we use Stripe (and its associated countries) in multiple places, including this Payments FAQ. It's there when you set up Payments in your Mighty Network as well as in our Help Center. We'll look for ways to make this even more visible.
Second, the team already advocated for you on the error message. This is definitely an improvement that we can make and is already slotted in.
Third, we want people to be happy with their Mighty Networks plan. We'll loop back with you via Host Help to understand where the misunderstanding happened and address a refund given what is available on our website and the situation specifics.
Looking forward to getting you in a better place.
We sent a response too acknowledging the message, but with few suggestions:
Thank a lot for you for the response.
I was not happy mostly because of few things:
1. Stripe connection was made without an option to specify the stripe account and without any validation. I had to change the stripe email to match the MN email after that.
2. There were no notification when the subscription failed. Some of the users contacted me, but many may have simply left the page and went. I would have never known about it if that users had not contacted me.
3. Most importantly, seeing a message that something has gone wrong and not able to know what that something is also frustrating. Even the support had no clue initially. I spent days on this issue. When I checked with Stripe they simply checked the logs and said they had sent back the response when the request failed. It should have been logged somewhere and should have just told me when I contacted for the first time right? If I was told the issue was regarding stripe from the response you received, I would have planned for something else by this time.
4. As mentioned before, I lost a wonderful opportunity to capitalize on an award I received for my latest book while waiting for a response.
Note: The note "Stripe and associated countries" don't raise concerns for anyone from India as stripe is associated with India also. It should have been mentioned to check if stripe allow collecting fees through platforms from US if you really want people to check. Something you may consider making it explicit in documentation. Or do not allow stripe integration and throw and error out during integration itself.
Once again, thank you for your response.
So what is the moral of the story? Mighty Networks cannot be used from India if you want to collect fee through the platform in an easy way. This may apply to other countries also. So better check first if Stripe does support fee collection from US for your country. There is still a difficult way to achieve this though.
Note: We wish Mighty Networks provide PayPal support in future like other platforms including Teachable and Kajabi. I also wish they would improve the logging to just say what went wring upfront. I assume at least they will update their documentation to make this clear.
Will update here, in case I get any discount or refund considering my wasted time.